Switzerland engages in the trade of medical devices to the annual value of more than 16 billion Swiss francs, and this is showing an upward tendency. The value of the medical devices that are exported from Switzerland clearly exceeds the value of the imported medical devices. Switzerland has a positive trade balance with almost every country. Our most important trade partners are Europe, the USA and Asia. Devices from Swiss medical technology companies are in demand all over the world. Access to the international markets is vital for Swiss companies. The challenges here are great, not least because of Switzerland’s special role with the European Union, and the fact that the international market and competitive environment changes in a very dynamic way.
Who we are
The members of the expert group have the goal of providing mutual support when importing goods into foreign markets, of minimising the associated risks and of successfully overcoming the respective legal provisions. Generally, the expert group deals with all topics of interest and significance to the exporting Swiss medical technology industry. Another concern of the group is the strengthening of the «Swissness» brand abroad.
Who can participate
Members of the expert group are typically CEOs, Heads of Import/Export, International Sales or Business Development or export specialists of Swiss Medtech member companies who deal with globalisation of business activities and export/import issues at a strategic and/or operational level.
- Best practice sharing: Exchanging information and knowledge about foreign trade and trade compliance topics, dealing with risks in foreign trade and compliance topics, discussing solutions and working together on a case-by-case basis
- Market intelligence: Exchanging information on market entry strategies and opportunities in new markets as well as experiences in internationalisation projects (making use of free trade agreements, IP protection, product registrations, etc.). Further topics are business development methods in the new markets
- Impulses for training and continuing education: trade compliance, internationalisation strategies
- Creating an expert group member list by expertise and region for an efficient exchange of knowledge and experience
- Developing thematic papers such as White Papers, political statements and factsheets
- Strategic orientation and development of the expert group programme