To what extent are donations, gifts, sponsored events and financial subsidies to healthcare professionals or distributing free samples legally permitted and ethically justifiable? Where do the boundaries lie with respect to admissibility in the interaction between industry and medical professionals as well as facilities? Swiss Medtech has prepared the «Code of Ethical Business Practice» (Ethics Code) and promotes its implementation; all members commit themselves to comply therewith. In the complex global environment, it becomes increasingly more challenging to comply with the laws, guidelines and ethical standards – even for the medical technology industry.
Who we are
The expert group Legal and Compliance is composed of persons from the legal and compliance area of Swiss Medtech members. It focuses its activities on the Code of Ethical Business Practice in particular and on moderate regulations in general.
Who can participate
Employees of Swiss Medtech member companies in the fields of Law and/or Compliance.
- Promoting implementation of the Code of Ethical Business Practice by the Swiss Medtech members via harmonised interpretation, best practices, mediation procedures, application aids, templates, advice, etc.
- Promotion of a balanced, barrier-free, competition-neutral and innovation-friendly design of Swiss legislation, also with regard to foreign legal developments
- Representing interests effectively
- Supporting Swiss Medtech members in implementing, applying and further development of the Code of Ethical Business Practice
- Monitoring relevant national laws and regulations (Law on Therapeutic Products – HMG; Ordinance on Integrity and Transparency in the Therapeutic Products Sector – VITH; Ordinance on Medical Devices – MepV; law on tenders, etc.)
- Actively influencing the corresponding political and legislative processes (statements in consultations, recommendations on advisory business of the national parliament, topic management in position papers, etc.)
- Informing members of Swiss Medtech on related developments